A few weeks ago we had a family reunion and I figured Summer Corn Chowder would be perfect! I could put in on the stove when we left for church and it would be ready by the time I got home! I’ve shared my love for Mrs Terri’s Corn Chowder, but to me it’s a heavy soup. PERFECT for winter, but I wanted something on the lighter side.
I found this recipe on Pinterest and quickly went to work on how I could adapt it!
What you will need:
* 4 cans of whole kernel corn
* 3 can of diced potatoes (or a bag of Golden Round potatoes cut into quarters)
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic
* 3 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan & Soy Free Buttery Spread
* 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used almond flour, but once I’m off the elimination diet I’ll use gluten free all purpose flower)
* 2 drops of Thyme Essential Oil
* 1 Cup of Dairy Free Half and Half ( you can make your own by adding one part Almond Milk Creamer or Coconut Cream to one part Diary free milk)
* 5 cups of water
* 1Tbsp Honey
* 5 slices of gluten free/nitrate free bacon, cut into pieces
* 2-3 Tbsp chopped chives
What do to:
* Add Earth Balance Buttery Spread to pot and cook onions and bacon until they turn brown.
* Next add the garlic and let it brown.
* Add gluten free flour a little at a time. ( If the flour starts to clump you can start switching back and forth- adding a little water and adding a little flour)
* Add the 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
* Add in all the other ingredients expect for the chopped chives
* Turn down and let simmer. ( The directions say simmer for 20 minutes. I put this on the stove on a Sunday Morning and let it simmer while we were at church. It was probably 2 hours and it turned out fine)
* Once it is done cooking, transfer 2 1/2 cups of chowder to a blender and blend until smooth
* Pour back into pot and stir together
* Serve with diary free cheese, chives, diary free sour cream or more bacon! Enjoy!